Many smaller towns are eliminating or cutting back on their Fourth of July Fireworks this year due to the economy, which means larger cities are going to be the hot travel spots this July 4th.
Top 5 July 4th Travel Destinations
- Chicago, Illinois – The Taste of Chicago lasts until July 3rd and is, by itself, a wonderful reason to visit The Windy City. Then on the 4th, Fireworks at Navy Pier are spectacular.
- St. Louis, Missouri – With Fair St. Louis happening July 4th – 7th, under the Gateway Arch, St. Louis is easily the 2nd hottest travel spot for Independence Day. This year’s concerts include Heart (July 4th), Third Eye Blind (July 6th) and Dierks Bentley (July 7th).
- Boston, Massachusetts – The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular features Jennifer Hudson, Michael Chiklis, Dropkick Murphys and, of course, The Boston Pops. The Copley Square / Theater District or the Harbor Front / Aquarium area are also a lovely places to spend the Fourth.
- Toronto, Ontario (Canada) – For folks North of the border, Toronto is the #1 Fourth of July spot. The Toronto Fringe Festival starts on July 4th and runs until July 15th. Friday, July 6th kicks off the Taste of Lawrence fest, Summerlicious, and the Harbourfront Free Summer Festivals – Expressions of Brazil. The Honda Indy Toronto also takes place July 6th – 8th and Afrofest will be going on at Woodbine Park July 7th-8th.
- Niagara Falls / Buffalo, New York – Canalside in Buffalo, the Explore & More’s Fourth of July Celebration offers families free July 4th fun. On July 3rd, Dave Matthews will be at the Darien Lake Theme Park Resort, and Huey Lewis & The News will be at Artpark in Lewiston. July 5th, Arrested Development will be Canalside and Eddie Money will be at the Ulrich City Courtyard July 6th. July 7th brings Stevie Nicks to the Seneca Niagra Casino & Hotel and also kicks off the Taste of Buffalo (July 7th – 8th at Buffalo City Hall).
Wherever you find yourself this Independence Day, be sure to bring along plenty of sunblock, extra drinking water, and a blanket to sit on while enjoying the fabulous fireworks displays.