When it comes to Father’s Day, there are two things I know will always go over well with my dad – gadget gifts and my beer ribs.
- 6 pounds, pork baby back ribs
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 4 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle porter beer, room temperature
- Cut the ribs into small portions – about 2-4 bones each
- Boil a large pot of water
- Add a pinch of salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper to the water
- Add the ribs to the boiling water and boil for 20 minutes
- Drain and allow the ribs to sit for 20-40 minutes
- Preheat a grill on high heat
- Lightly coat each of the rib sections with barbecue sauce
- Grill the ribs over high heat for 5 minutes on each side
- Place the ribs in a slow cooker with the remaining barbecue sauce and the bottle of beer
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, stirring every 45 minutes to an hour to make sure that all of the ribs spend some time in the barbeque sauce and beer
Pro Tips and Comments
- Although the ribs are technically thoroughly cooked once they’re boiled, the grilling and slow cooker help add flavor and help make the meat fall right off the bone.
- Serve with another bottle of porter beer and enjoy!