Fix a bit traditional Irish food this coming St. Patrick’s Day with this tasty recipe for corned beef and cabbage. Very simple to make on the stove or in a crockpo.
3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
8 small red potatoes
1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced
6 carrots, peeled and then cut into 2-inch pieces
1 large head of cabbage, cut into wedges
- Place the corned beef brisket in a large pot, Dutch oven and cover the corned beef brisket with water. Add the spice packet. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer the corned beef brisket for about 2 hours and 30 minutes, (or 50 minutes for each pound), until tender.
- Add the carrot pieces, onion slices, and the whole potatoes and simmer until the veggies are nearly done. Add the cabbage and cook everything about 15-20 minutes longer or until all veggies are tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice the meat across its natural grain and serve.
This recipe serves 5 people
- Place the corned beef brisket, spice packet, onions, potatoes, and carrots in the crockpot
- Cover with water. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours
- Add the cabbage wedges and cook on high an additional 30 minutes or until all veggies and the corned beef brisket are tender
- Cut the meat across the grain and serve
- Add 1 can of beer and then cover the corned beef brisket with water
- Add garlic, pepper, or other spices to taste