For a simple, no-cook summer appetizer that goes great with barbeque, try these simple insalata caprese skewers. Traditional insalata caprese is served as a salad and is generally an antipasto (starter) for the meal rather than a side dish (contomo).
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 (.6 ounce) package fresh basil leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) package small fresh mozzarella balls
- Wooden skewers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thread the tomato halves, a piece of basil leaf, and a mozzarella ball onto the wooden skewers and repeat until you have used all of the tomatos, basil and mozzarella.
- Place the skewers on a plate or serving tray and drizzle the olive oil over them.
- Sprinkle the skewers with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Pro Tips and Alternatives
- You can also use toothpicks instead of or along with the wooden skewers.
- Use garlic infused olive oil rather than standard olive oil.
- Add sliced prosciutto to the skewers – either one slice per skewer or incorporate it into the pattern.
- Use mozzarella balls that are marinated in oil.
- Along with or instead of the olive oil, you can also drizzle these with a vinaigrette salad dressing or Italian dressing.
- Serving suggestion – serve alongside Melba toast or other crusty bread.
- Parsley can also be used along with the other ingredients or as a garnish.