Cheesy Mexican Eggplant
This is a great recipe for Mexican food lovers. Every time I have made this someone ask me for the recipe. Yum!
- Non-stick spray
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 2 eggplants (2 1/2 lb), cut in 1/2-in. thick rounds
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bottle (8 oz) taco sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat a broiler. Place half the eggplant on broiler rack, evenly coat with non-stick spray, then sprinkle with half the pepper.
- Broil 4 to 8 minutes per side until lightly browned and tender. Repeat with remaining eggplant and pepper.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In medium bowl, stir marinara and taco sauce with cumin.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce in baking dish. Line with half the eggplant. Spoon on 1 1/4 cups sauce; top with 1 cup cheese and 1/4 cup cilantro.
- Repeat layering with remaining eggplant, sauce and cheese; cover with foil.
- Bake 40 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, make rice as package directs.
- Let eggplant rest 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with remaining cilantro.
- Serve with rice and enjoy.