Zarangollo murciano (Stewed zucchini with onion)
Zarangollo is a simple dish from Spain, which combines the zucchini with
onions and eggs. You can serve it hot or at room temperature.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 pounds zucchini, peeled and cut into small dice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 eggs (optional)
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil over
medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook, stirring often,
for 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook for about 15 minutes,
or until soft and translucent.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil in another
sauté pan over medium heat. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring often, for 15
minutes, or until they have softened and released their juices. Remove from the
heat and drain off any liquid released during cooking. Transfer the zucchini to
the pan with the onions.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper, add the oregano,
and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
If desired, break the eggs
onto the vegetables and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the
whites are set.
- Remove from the heat and serve hot or at room temperature.