Mandarin Oranges, Avocado, Chicken and Spinach Salad
By : Dawn Bowman
Always on the lookout for new and interesting things to do with avocados, I was super excited when I found a yummy mango and avocado salad recipe. I’ve made a few changes and additions and it has quickly become a favorite in my house – even for my hubby who isn’t particularly ‘into’ salads.
- 4 cups grilled chicken, sliced into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 1 (8 oz) can of mandarin orange slices, drained
- 2 avocados – peeled, pitted and diced
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, toss together chicken, mandarin orange slices and diced avocados
- Divide baby spinach equally into 8 serving bowls or onto 8 serving plates.
- Top each dish of spinach with some of the chicken, mandarin orange and avocado mixture (about 3/4 – 1 cup each)
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on each salad and serve.
Pro Tips and Substitutions
- Although I prefer this salad without dressing, a basic lime vinaigrette or a cilantro and lime vinaigrette work well with this.
- You can omit the almonds or substitute walnuts, pinenuts, or sunflower seeds.
- Mango, (about 1 cup diced), may be substituted for the mandarin oranges.