A delicious and easy way to cut down on the fat and red meat in your diet is to use ground chicken in meatballs rather than pork and beef. This recipe adds a bit of cream cheese for scrumptious and moist meatballs that are great added to pasta dishes, on sandwiches, or eaten on their own as a yummy appetizer or party snack.
This recipe makes about 20-30 meatballs which is great for serving 5-6 people.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup light cream cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste (about ½ - 1 teaspoon each)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Line a cookie sheet or baking sheet with a rim (so the meatballs don’t roll off) with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Combine chicken, egg, cream cheese, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, red pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Form 20-30 meatballs and place them on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven about 15-18 minutes.
Pro Tips and Substitutions
- Rather than the dry bread crumbs, you can also use crushed crackers or stuffing mix.
- Instead of garlic powder, you can use fresh crushed and minced garlic.
- Add ¼ cup chopped onion for a little more kick and/or add 2 tablespoons chopped bell peppers.
- For folks who like a lot more spice, add 2 chopped Thai peppers (or 1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped).
- If you don’t have Italian seasoning, add a dash of each of the following: basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary, and thyme. Or make your own Italian Seasoning and keep it on-hand.
- When I have time, I allow the meatball mixture to set for 30 minutes (in the refrigerator) before forming the meatballs and cooking them.
- If you have an instant-read thermometer, the center of the meatballs should be at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) before removing them from the oven.
- A great way to form the meatballs is to use a cookie or ice cream scoop with a trigger release.
- You can also substitute ground turkey for the ground chicken as well.