Pregnancy is the most beautiful phase of a women's life. During this phase a women experiences almost a roller coaster ride of emotions. These emotions sometimes become difficult to control and slowly it takes a form of depression. You may be depressed and not know it. Some normal changes during and after pregnancy can cause symptoms similar to those of depression!!
After the birth of a child, about 50% to 85% of women experience postpartum blues during the first few weeks after delivery which could be mild, moderate, or severe, and may be temporary or long lasting. . As per a research it is believed that depression now a days has become the most common complications during and after pregnancy in a women's life.
Some of the symptoms post pregnancies are:
• Depressed mood
• Irritation or anger
• Stomach disorder
• Loss of interest in daily activities
• Fatigue or Laziness
• Sleep disturbance
• Feeling restless, sad or hopeless
• Crying for no reason
• Having lack of energy or motivation
• Too little or too much eating or sleeping habit
• Trouble focusing, remembering, or making decisions
• Continuous guilty feeling
• Withdrawal of attachment from friends and family
• Headache, chest pain, heart palpitations or hyperventilation
• Afraid of hurting oneself or the baby and less or no interest in the baby
The time period after giving birth to a baby is extremely crucial and vulnerable. Family should keep a note in the changing behaviour of the new mother and extend all possible support to her.
But, if "the blues" continues for more than just a few days, do not ignore and get a professional help.
• Talk to a therapist or psychologist and learn to change depressed feelings, and actions.
• Take medicines as per the prescription which reduces the stress and change the mood.
• Consult your doctors about the risks of antidepressant medicines.
• Recommendations regarding non-pharmacological treatments
• Consultation regarding breastfeeding and psychotropic medications
Hope, the above information will help you overcome your depression. Remember, you are blessed with the most beautiful gift from God... ‘Your baby', enjoy each moment and do not let it go.