Fitness tips for all of us
Quality of life is what we all want and good health helps us achieve this and being fit can help us. Physical fitness allows you to perform daily activities and face physical and emotional stress during moments of increased intensity. If you are fit you have good physical and mental health. Maintaining physical fitness can be a difficult task for most of the people because of the pressure and strain that they face daily, but we need to remember that regular exercise helps you to prevent lot of health problems.
There are four main components to physical fitness:
- Cardiovascular endurance: This can also be referred to as Aerobic Fitness and describes how well the cardio respiratory system (heart and lungs) function to deliver oxygen to exercising muscles. The better the cardiovascular endurance of an individual, the more efficient the system is able to work. Running, cycling, walking and swimming are the best activities that build cardiovascular endurance.
- Muscular strength: Muscular strength is the maximum amount of force that a muscle can exert during a contraction. As we age, our muscle mass declines - so it is important to work on this. And since decreased muscle mass means a slower metabolism (as fat does not burn calories but muscles do), working on maintaining and building your muscles will help slow or halt this process. Training with weight machines, flexibility bands, dumbbells and even against your own body weight will help to develop this.
- Flexibility: Flexibility describes the range of motion around a joint. It is necessary for any activity that requires bending, twisting and reaching. Keeping an appropriate range of motion around our joints help us to live our day to day lives pain free. Yoga, Pilates and simple stretching routines help to maintain good posture, relieve stress, and reduce the risk of pain and injury.
- Body composition: Body composition describes the ratio of body fat and fat free weight that encompass an individual's weight. Generally, a fit female should have a body fat percentage between 21% to 24%.
How to keep you physically fit:
- Regular Exercise: Exercise is a must to keep you fit and regular exercise will keep your body active and in shape. Exercise doesn't need to be strenuous; walking is just as good as running is for your health, it all depends on what you want. Exercise also supports the growth of heart muscles and thereby increases the pumping speed of blood. In a physically fit person the nutrient absorption will be at optimal level, bones grow bigger and faster, and curative process happen quicker than others.
- Balanced Diet: A balanced diet with right percentage of protein and vitamin is required to keep you fit. Everything in moderation is good.
- Proper sleep: A proper sleep of at least eight hours is also necessary to be physically fit. Less sleep can bring slower metabolism. Proper sleep helps in cell growth and repair that increases metabolism and burn up calories, so your whole body is benefiting.
- Quit smoking and excessive drinking: As we all know smoking is harmful for your health, but some of us (I don't know why) still do it, so QUIT. Excessive drinking is harmful as well, so if you want to lead a healthy lifestyle and be fit, stop the abuse.
- Feeling of satisfaction: People, who are satisfied with whatever they have in life, are happier and healthier than the rest. The feeling of contentment is the most important thing in life which one has to achieve.
Mental Fitness: Along with physical fitness, to be mentally fit is also required for a healthy life. Some simple ways to practice mental fitness are:
- Recall positive emotional moments: Life is a mixed bag of happy and sad moments, so take out some time to recall the happiest moments of your life when you have felt cheerful, content, confident, comfort or any kind of positive emotions.
- Learn to cope with negative thoughts: Negative thoughts mostly make us weak and hamper our mental peace. Be strong to face them and find a solution to that. Never run away from the situation, it won't help but don't let them take over. In case you don't have any quick solution to the problem, try to keep yourself in some work and distract your mind.
- Concentrate on one thing at a time: Whatever you do, make sure you concentrate on that particular work completely. Like if you have gone for a walk, don't speak on phone or don't think about work and projects. Simply enjoy the moment and the work you are doing at that particular time.
- Exercise: Regular physical activity improves psychological well-being and can reduce depression and anxiety. Joining an exercise group or a gym can also reduce loneliness, as you get chance to meet and know a new set of people sharing a common goal.
- Get pleasure from hobbies: By doing a hobby you enjoy, you should to be able to forget about things and enjoy yourself. So remember to chose an activity that you like doing. For example gardening, reading, whatever you like and take time out each week to do it. You will definitely gain from it, both mentally and depending on what you like physically! So it's a win-win situation.
- Set personal goals: Set an achievable goal in your regular lifestyle. Decide anything in your daily routine and try to achieve it. May be completing a book or going for a walk. Once you succeed in achieving your goal trust me it gives a wonderful feeling of satisfaction and also makes you confident.
- Express yourself: Today life has become so hectic and full of stress that expressing yourself is very much required after a tough day. This will help you to release tension and give you strength to face the problems and illness. It's not required that you need a friend or relative to speak with, may be you can write diary or speak to a mirror or wall.
- Daydream: Every one of us has some hidden wish so don't stop yourself, set free your imagination and it will take you to your dream location. Just enjoy the feeling. Once you close your eyes and find yourself in the world you wish to be, you will definitely have a sensation of peace and tranquility.
- Share humor: In the midst of all serious stuffs, humor works as a medicine. So whenever you get chance to hear or see something that makes you smile or laugh; share it with everyone you know. Remember when you share happiness it grows.
- Try to help: Helping others is a wonderful feeling and makes you feel good about yourself. Also you get chance to meet new people that widens your social network. Different experiences help us to see life with different prospects.
- Pamper yourself: To keep yourself happy is also an important duty. Cook yourself a good meal. Go to a parlor, have a massage, relax, feel good and just do whatever makes you feel happy. Whatever you do, do it for yourself.
Fitness is one of the most important factors that allow us to lead a healthy and active life. A person who is physically fit will be more confident in public places because they feel more comfortable than others who are not fit. Physical fitness keeps people in the exact frame of mind and boost metal sharpness and concentration. So this weekend make a good routine and follow it to keep yourself physically and mentally fit.
(Sources: myfit.ca, cmha.ca, workingatmcmaster.ca, clickforhowto.com, natural-homeremedies.com)