We often notice white spots on our nails but tend to avoid it. But the reason for these white spots on your nails can be some kind of Fungal Infection, Deficiency on Nutrients like Zinc & Calcium. It can also be due to nail trauma, eczema or psoriasis etc. However in some rare cases it may be due to some problem in your liver or kidney.
There is no need to worry if you have these white spots on your nails as you can surely get rid of white spots on your nails:
• Let your nails grow: Let your nails grow until the spot reaches the end of the nail bed and post that you can cut them off.
• Nutritional Deficiency: As discussed above, white spots generally appear due to lack of some essential nutrients like Zinc & Calcium. Therefore you need to eat healthy food with lots of nutrients. You can get Zinc from Almonds, Peanuts, Milk, and Watermelon etc. Similarly for calcium, intake of Milk products like cheese, yogurt, milk etc are the best source. Apart from this you can also eat Spinach, Almonds, Tofu, White Beans, and Baked Beans etc.
• Avoid Alcohol: Excess alcohol intake can also be one of the reasons of white spots on your nails. It can also lead to a disease called Cirrhosis. Therefore avoid too much of alcohol.
• Avoid Water Contact: Do not let your nails get in contact with water too much as it can worsen the spots. Always wear gloves while washing clothes or dishes.
• Cleanliness: Always keep your nails clean to avoid infections which can lead to white spots.
• Nail Trimming: Be careful while trimming your nails. Pressure on the cuticle area can cause trauma in the nail bed that can cause white spots on the nails.
• Use Good Quality Nail Products: Nail paints, hardeners and even artificial nails can have chemicals that can cause allergic reaction that may also trigger the white spots therefore do not ever compromise on quality.
Even after taking all the above steps your white spots are still there and are becoming even more prominent with time, it can be due to some liver or kidney problem. Therefore consult a Doctor immediately.